Black Smiths Beach sunrise on Saturday during championships
Cronulla’s Allum brothers thought they had today’s Open Male Board Rescue final in the bag until rival club mates, the Simpson brothers, cleverly held back to await a lucky shore wave that catapulted them into the gold medal position.
Defending champion Mark Simpson, 24, was the swimmer in the rescue simulation event and younger brother Dean Simpson, 21, rode the board. Once Mark was retrieved the Simpson brothers chased Chris and Hayden Allum all the way to the beach until Dean spotted the winning ride.
“I saw a wave coming and told Mark to wait, that’s what got us past them,” he said grinning.
Chris Allum was clearly frustrated at the late loss. “We had that race in the bag, but that’s part of the sport. It’s dead flat then a one foot wave appears right there….it’s funny how it happens sometimes.”
The Simpson and the Allum brothers train together at Cronulla Surf Life Saving Club and are friends, “but not on the line,” admitted Chris Allum.
From today’s result he did take away some solace. Mark Simpson won this event last year, with a different partner, and two years ago the Simpson brothers won the national title. “To be in front of them makes me feel like we are in with a shot in Perth,” Chris Allum added, referring to the upcoming national titles in less than three weeks time.
Today’s gold medal was the third this state carnival for Mark Simpson who combined with the Allum brothers and Cameron Pyett yesterday in the Surf Team and with Hayden in the Open Mens Board Relay.
His training might have suffered in previous months due to work commitments but Mark’s happy to take the psychological advantage heading into tomorrow’s string of individual finals including the Swim, Board and the blue ribbon event, the Open Ironman.
In the Open Female Board Rescue Terrigal stormed home, a big turnaround from last year when the team failed to qualify for the finals at the state championship. Only their second time on a board together this season, 25 year old Amanda White, the defending national champion, and Joanna Baxter, a 17 year old St Josephs High School student, “just clicked”.
Baxter was also part of the winning Terrigal team in the Under 19 Female Surf Team final, combining with Erin Robertson and two Under 17 swimmers, Jorden Burnes and Rachelle King.
Conditions were calm again for day two of the 2009 Allphones Open NSW Surf Life Saving Championships with a dumping shore break, light winds and flat seas under a strong sun on the final day of summer.
This evening will be a quiet affair for the Open competitors who have qualified for a finals berth tomorrow. The competition will get underway at 8am in the morning before the traditional March Past at 11am when the 2008 NSW Surf Lifesaver and Volunteer of the Year will be announced.
The carnival’s closing events promise a thrilling afternoon of water and beach finals climaxing with the pinnacle, the Open Ironman and Ironwoman.
Host Club Swansea Belmont rose to second place in the overall pointscore today.
FINAL RESULTS: DAY TWO
1. Manly- 128
2. Swansea Belmont- 120
3. Terrigal- 119
4. Freshwater- 108
5. Warilla-Barrack Point- 107
6. Cronulla- 88
7. Redhead- 72
8. Wanda- 71
9. Ocean Beach- 68
10. North Cronulla- 61
FINALS RESULTS FROM DAY TWO
Open Male Board Rescue
(1) Cronulla c (2) Cronulla b (3) Manly BLUE (4) Cudgen Headland White (5) North Bondi Barbarians (6) Cudgen Headland Blue
Open Female Board Rescue
(1) Terrigal A (2) Sawtell A (3) Freshwater A (4) Lennox Head-Alstonville X (5) Swansea Belmont B (6) The Lakes Red
Under 17 Male Board Rescue
(1) Cronulla c (2) Terrigal A (3) Warilla-Barrack Point BLUE (4) Redhead A (5) Freshwater A (6) Lennox Head-Alstonville X
Under 17 Female Board Rescue
(1) Copacabana RED (2) Manly BLUE (3) Cooks Hill A (4) Warilla-Barrack Point WHITE (5) Freshwater A (6) Swansea Belmont D
Under 15 Male Board Rescue
(1) Redhead B (2) Redhead A (3) Cudgen Headland Blue (4) Wanda red (5) Ocean Beach BLUE (6) Elouera White
Under 15 Female Board Rescue
(1) Freshwater B (2) Cronulla red (3) Redhead b (4) Terrigal C (5) Avoca Beach green (6) Terrigal A
Under 19 Female Taplin Relay
(1) Warilla-Barrack Point BLACK (2) Swansea Belmont A (3) Freshwater A (4) Byron Bay A (5) Warilla-Barrack Point ORANGE (6) Elouera White
Under 19 Male Taplin Relay
(1) Avoca Beach A (2) Warilla-Barrack Point BLACK (3) Collaroy red (4) Terrigal A (5) Elouera White (6) Freshwater A
Under 19 Female Single Ski
(1) BAXTER, JOANNA (Terrigal) (2) SMITH, LAUREN (Warilla-Barrack Point) (3) COLEMAN, TARA (Maroubra) (4) KNAPMAN, SARAH (Manly) (5) MINOGUE, HANNAH (Bulli) (6) FLEMMING, Tahnee (Byron Bay)
Under 19 Double Ski (single gender teams)
(1) Warilla-Barrack Point BLACK (2) Warilla-Barrack Point ORANGE (3) Freshwater A (4) North Bondi a (5) Byron Bay A (6) Avoca Beach B
Open Male Malibu Surf Board Riding
(1) Rawson, Matt (Swansea Belmont) (2) Carroll, Anthony (Bronte) (3) VanDerWallen, Adriaan (Avalon Beach) (4) Mahoney, Sean (North Cronulla) (5) Gibson, Nathen (Long Reef) (6) Williams, Bryce (Swansea Belmont)
Open Female Malibu Surf Board Riding
(1) KENT, MICHELLE (Redhead) (2) Mulquiney, Katie (Cooks Hill) (3) Miley-Dwyer, Olivia (Bronte) (4) Charles, April (North Cronulla)
Open Mixed 5 Person R&R
(1) Collaroy Black (2) Wanda red (3) Newport Gold (4) North Cronulla Gold (5) Wanda blue (6) Swansea Belmont A
Open 6 Person R&R
(1) Freshwater MAROON (2) Collaroy Black (3) Swansea Belmont A (4) Bondi B (5) Wanda blue (6) Freshwater WHITE
Open Male 5 Person R&R
(1) Swansea Belmont A (2) Bondi A (3) Wanda blue (4) Freshwater MAROON
Over 24 Restricted Surf Race
(1) Allen, Malcolm (Bronte) (2) LEMMON, Paul (Freshwater) (3) Bowden, Andrew (Bronte) (4) HANSON, Kurt (Freshwater) (5) pyett, cameron (Cronulla) (6) bolewski, joel (Wanda)
Under 19 Female Surf Teams
(1) Terrigal A (2) Manly BLUE (3) Elouera Blue (4) Byron Bay A (5) North Bondi A (6) North Cronulla Gold
Under 19 Male Surf Teams
(1) Warilla-Barrack Point BLACK (2) Elouera White (3) Bulli A (4) Manly BLUE (5) Wanda red (6) Terrigal A
Under 15 Female Surf Teams
(1) Cronulla a (2) Redhead A (3) Freshwater A (4) Avoca Beach blue (5) Terrigal A (6) Sawtell A
Under 17 Male Board Relay
(1) Terrigal A (2) Bulli A (3) Cronulla a (4) Lennox Head-Alstonville X (5) Freshwater A (6) Swansea Belmont A
Under 17 Female Board Relay
(1) Terrigal A (2) Warilla-Barrack Point BLACK (3) Byron Bay A (4) Freshwater A (5) Copacabana JOSH (6) Swansea Belmont A
Under 15 Male Board Relay
(1) Redhead A (2) Swansea Belmont A (3) North Cronulla Gold (4) Wanda blue (5) Avoca Beach blue (6) Redhead B
Under 15 Female Board Relay
(1) Avoca Beach blue (2) Cronulla a (3) Lennox Head-Alstonville X (4) Sawtell A (5) Redhead A (6) Terrigal A
(1) South Curl Curl South Curly (2) Manly BLUE (3) Cooks Hill HILL (4) Bulli A
Open Male 2km Beach Run
(1) CONRICK, BOYD (Redhead) (2) DAY, BLAIR (Warilla-Barrack Point) (3) HIGGINS, Scott (The Lakes) (4) BALDWIN, LEON (Manly) (5) Hynard, Brad (Wollongong City) (6) Barclay, Jared (North Cronulla)
Open Female 2km Beach Run
(1) Leadbeatter, Angela (Swansea Belmont) (2) Conder, Jenny (Elouera) (3) McCarthy, Siobhan (North Bondi) (4) campbell, melissa (Wanda) (5) Conder, Kate (Elouera) (6) HEAL, EMILY (Manly)
Under 17 Male 2km Beach Run
(1) JAMES, BLAKE (Warilla-Barrack Point) (2) Wallace, Jordan (Wollongong City) (3) CALLAWAY, DAVID (Bulli) (4) Callander, charlie (Whale Beach) (5) Ingle, Jake (Swansea Belmont) (6) SHEPHERD, HAYDEN (Redhead)
Under 15 Male 2km Beach Run
(1) Walters, Guy (Swansea Belmont) (2) WYLIE, TIM (Towradgi) (3) cracknell, toby (Avoca Beach) (4) Green, Jake (Thirroul) (5) Kelly-Makovec, Joshua (North Cronulla) (6) MARSHALL, Ben (The Lakes)
Under 19 Male 2km Beach Run
(1) Ham, Troy (Swansea Belmont) (2) WATSON, ADAM (Manly) (3) KRUCLER, JORDAN (Umina Beach) (4) RIDDINGTON, NATHAN (Queenscliff) (5) Flannery, Ryan (Dixon Park) (6) HAWKE, PHILLIP (Queenscliff)
Under 17 Female 2km Beach Run
(1) JONES, BREE (Warilla-Barrack Point) (2) McGain, Alexandra (Bilgola) (3) Brady, Tia (Dixon Park) (4) McGrath, Georgia (North Cronulla) (5) RYAN, SASHA (Shellharbour) (6) Bakker, Kaitlin (Lennox Head-Alstonville)
Under 15 Female 2km Beach Run
(1) GASPAROTTO, ELYSSIA (Ocean Beach) (2) LAVALLE, OLIVIA (North Wollongong) (3) SMYTH, LILLI (Coffs Harbour) (4) douglas-savage, chloe (Wanda) (5) davies, michaela (Cronulla) (6) Kruger, Zane (Dee Why)
BLK1 Article: SURF LIFE SAVING NSW Photographer: PETER SOLLNER
Blacksmiths Beach Sunrise - Day 2
> SUBSCRIBE TO BLK1 ONLINE SWIMSUIT MAGAZINE TODAY AND VIEW LARGER IMAGES FROM THIS ARTICLE AND ENJOY OTHER BENEFITS FROM THIS MONTHS EDITION. MANY ARTICLES HAVE ADDITION EXCLUSIVE BLK1 SUBSCRIBER IMAGES. PLEASE NOTE, IF NOTED IN THE ARTICLE THAT THIS ARTICLE IS A “PAY-PER-VIEW”, THEN YOU DO NOT NEED TO BE A MONTHLY BLK1 SUBSCRIBER TO PAY AND ACCESS IMAGES.
Images: © AFP 2008 /2009/ 2010 Article: © BLK1 2009. All Rights Reserved.